Saturday, July 28, 2007

Can't help acting on impulse...


An e-mail discussion with a friend about whether to go and see La Vie en Rose (the Edith Piaf biopic) put me in a French mood this morning, so to speak. I went downstairs (What? Doesn't everyone check their e-mails as soon as they get up?) and dug out my cheapo collection of French café songs on CD and started to play them. It's a hotch potch collection of Edith, Charles Trenet, Maurice Chevalier - you know the sort of thing. As I sang along with the bits I know, I said to his Lordship "Pity we haven't got any croissants, we could have had a French themed breakfast." With that, he grabs his car keys and trots off to Tesco for some 'authentic' French croissants. We shunned instant coffee for the proper stuff and had croissants, pain au chocolat and jam. I suppose the jam should have been Bonne Maman but it was damson with Lindisfarne mead - all I could find in the cupboard but it did the job. Very nice...


Later we were at the local shops, the sun was shining (first time this year, I think!) and we were on our way back to the car when we spotted some people sitting outside a pub. I said "Ooh, d'you know, I could just drink a nice cold glass of cider..." Enough said, the genie of the croissants again responded to my whim. Even better since we felt naughty 'cos the kids were at home and didn't have a clue. Two impulsive acts in one day. Can't be bad. Still shouldn't these things happen in threes? Hmm...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

charles trenet 'la mer' is a favourite on my ipod... as is 'la vie en rosa'... nice to see someone else appreciates continenal oddities. ;-)