Wednesday, July 25, 2007

First days of the hols...

Here's a piccy of a lovely little rose which is currently residing in a pot on my kitchen window sill. How very cheery it looks! Well, we are a few days into the summer hols (or my unemployment, whichever way you look at it). Not done much as yet. I'm still going through my typical post year end torpor. Everything is still a bit unreal after leaving work. Yesterday I did venture out to the local town centre. I thought it would be a good idea to spend my Waterstones vouchers so I have ordered all of the recommended reading for my course. I also had some vouchers which my parents-in-law gave me for my birthday so I have bought some novels to balance out the compulsory reading. While I was in there, who did I bump into but 'M' (Head of Drama) and 'B' (her mate and a former colleague). Seems you can't get away from them (only joking!) That is the thing about this peninsula (and particularly educational circles) -it's very close knit (some might describe it as 'incestuous'!)

'M's' sister was also there and she has some baby bunnies to find homes for. I was tempted. Well we still have a barely used hutch in our garden so I have asked 'his Lordship' if we ought to get one. He was actually well up for it so we are using the opportunity to challenge our youngest to sort her attitude out. She doesn't know what the reward is, yet, as he has put it in a sealed envelope (the 'prize notification', not the rabbit!).
'P' and 'S' are very good friends of ours. The friendship goes back to 2000 when I first met them and attended a short introductory Christianity course at their house. He was actually a local vicar at the time. Given their role in my spiritual journey, I place them in my Premier League as friends go. They are now living and working in Kenya but are currently visiting the UK. We had planned to go for a meal with them last night at a South African restaurant but sadly 'P' has taken really poorly. I'm not surprised, they run themselves into the ground. Anyway, rather that cancel completely, his Lordship and I decided not to cancel the table but to go ourselves. Super food! To be recommended. We both had crocodile for starter and I had ostrich for a main course. His Lordship had kudu which I gather is some kind of antelopey creature. Anyhow, it was beautifully cooked the staff were delightfully warm and hospitable and I am recommending it to anyone in the area. It is the Jabula and it is on the banks of the Manchester Ship Canal in Ellesmere Port, just by the Boat Museum. Will see 'P' and 'S' tonight for coffee and cake...

No comments: